Clark seeks to educate public of alopecia plight

A Tullahoma lady is using her own conflict with alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder concerning sudden hair loss that starts offevolved with one or more round bald patches that can overlap, to start a local aid institution geared toward assisting those who percentage the equal ailment. Yolanda Clark is striving to interrupt the stigma on alopecia.

“There are special regions of alopecia areata: partial, general or conventional. I have common, meaning that I do now not have hair in any respect,” Yolanda Clark stated. “It is an autoimmune sickness. No, it will not kill you. I do get loads of comments telling me that ‘It’s simply hair,’ but to a woman, hair method lots in relation to vanity and typical well-being.”

Clark became recognized with alopecia whilst she was 10 years antique. “I don't forget receiving the diagnosis and my hair had already fallen out,” Clark said. “I bear in mind my friends calling me ‘Miss Baldy.’ I hated going to school because I could get bullied and stared at every day. It was awful.”

“I have met  younger children inside the area which have the equal diagnosis as me and I have remained in touch with them for assist due to the fact I realize how hard it's far,” Clark stated. “I would be inclined to go to neighborhood basic faculties without my wig and speak to the youngsters so they can become acquainted and comfy with this ailment.”

Clark’s instantaneous purpose is to initiate a nearby guide organization. “There is a countrywide basis in Nashville that holds aid organizations,” Clark said. “I sense like it might be appropriate for Tullahoma to have its very own group.”

“Alopecia can be an embarrassing component for ladies to address,” Clark said. “If I may want to grow a help institution here, it would be so useful. There are plenty of things that many human beings do no longer know approximately alopecia and I ought to assist teach them.”

 “If human beings knew about the sickness, there could not be as many kids being bullied for having it. To normalize this to wherein children can pass to school with the sickness and not worry about being bullied, would be a large breakthrough.”

In 2008, while Clark became 33, she suffered a big stroke and changed into hospitalized for three months. Along with the loss of her husband and father, she observed herself scared, prone and unsure of how to pass ahead. “I felt like a flower that simply would no longer bloom. It took my husband passing away, my stroke, and the whole thing for me to get to an area in which I ought to inform myself ‘If I can overcome all of this, why hate my alopecia? I need to no longer be fearful of anything.’ Living in bondage is no way to stay. Now, I feel find it irresistible’s my obligation to assist others see it the same manner,” Clark said.

She has started a public web page on Facebook for alopecia support. “I want to empower, inspire and assist girls. This page is a manner for girls to get on-line and be part of my group and know that they are not alone in this,” Clark stated.
“My purpose is to sooner or later have a assist institution that meets frequently. It could be a place where we are able to proportion our struggles and raise each different up. I actually have a few humans interested and a capacity region for our first assembly, but it is all nonetheless a work in development,” Clark stated. “I feel very assured that this will develop quick.”